Thursday, June 8, 2023
HomeNewsWas Missing Maura Murray Ever Found? What Happened To The Nursing Student?

Was Missing Maura Murray Ever Found? What Happened To The Nursing Student?

The disappearance and presumed murder of Maura Murray is one of the most famous unsolved crimes in American history. After 14 years, many people are curious as to whether or not Murray has been discovered.

The investigation has led to the development of a number of hypotheses, but the authorities have not been able to uncover anything tangible that may propel his case forward in a meaningful way. Nevertheless, in order to reconstruct the victim’s movements, the United States Department of Justice and the federal government worked together to compile the victim’s information.

The inability to provide closure for Murray’s family, who are under the impression that she passed away, has left them in a state of devastation. On the other hand, it would appear that the father of the victim has already made peace with the situation and is under the impression that the culprits kidnapped and subsequently murdered his daughter.

What Happened To Maura Murray? Missing Update

After being involved in an automobile accident on Route 112 close to Woodsville, New Hampshire, which is a settlement in the town of Haverhill, Maura vanished sometime in the evening of February 9, 2004. Nobody knows where she is at this moment. She was a nursing student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where she was in her junior year when she vanished. She was 21 years old at the time of her disappearance.

According to the official log kept by the Haverhill police department, an officer from that department arrived at the scene at 7:46 p.m., but the female motorist had already fled the area. There was no one inside the automobile, nor was there anyone around. The vehicle had been involved in a collision with a tree on the driver’s side, which had caused significant damage to the left headlight as well as pushed the radiator into the fan, which rendered it inoperable.

Missing Nursing Student Maura Murray

Murray admitted in November 2003, three months before her disappearance, that she had used a stolen credit card to order food from multiple restaurants, including one in Hadley, Massachusetts. The business in question was located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The allegation was dismissed in December, following a period of three months during which the defendant displayed exemplary behavior.

In a similar fashion, Murray chatted on the phone with her older sister Kathleen on the evening of February 5, 2004, while working her shift at her campus security job. Kathleen was in another state. They discussed the problems that Kathleen was having with her fiance.

Was Maura Murray’s Ever Found? Is Her Body Found After 14 Years?

Maura’s body is never located after her disappearance. However, in September of 2021, authorities discovered bone fragments near the base of Loon Mountain, but they were unable to positively identify them as belonging to her.

In the same manner, the authorities carried out a fresh ground search along a significant stretch of Route 112 in the month of July 2022. They said that they did not receive any additional information that would warrant the search, and they did not comment on whether or not every proof was found.

They also investigated the basement of a house located on Route 112 on April 3, 2019, in the hopes of finding evidence that could lead them to Maura Murray; however, they were unsuccessful in their search.

According to Associate Attorney General Jeff Strelzin, the reason why more individuals have been speculating about the house is because they suspect that there may be a dead body in the basement of the property.

Maura Murray: An Update on Her Disappearance, 2022

The circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Maura Murray, a nursing student who was 21 years old, are unclear to both the general public and the authorities, who do not know what took place.

However, in January 2022, the FBI made an effort to take immediate action by issuing a national notice regarding Murray’s case. This warning enabled law enforcement agencies across the nation to collaborate and exchange information about the issue.

In order to acquire additional information regarding her case, the law enforcement department in the state of New Hampshire conducted investigations into the communities of Landaff and Easton. Similarly, throughout the course of the previous 10 years, her situation has garnered the attention of people all across the country; she has been quoted in a variety of media in order to acquire additional information regarding the student.

Fred Murray, Maura’s father, believes that the person who took his daughter is most likely no longer alive. Maura was taken from their home on September 19, 1995.

Maura Murray Wikipedia Bio

Maura Murray, who was born in the United States on May 4, 1982, was last seen alive on the evening of February 9, 2004, following an automobile accident that occurred on Route 112 close to Woodsville, New Hampshire, which is a village in Haverhill. Nobody knows where she is at this time. At the time of her disappearance, she was a nursing student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where she was in the process of completing her junior year. She was 21 years old.

Maura Murray
Maura Murray

Maura Murray was the fourth child to be born to Frederick “Fred” and Laurie Murray. She was born on May 4, 1982 in Hanson, Massachusetts. She also had two elder sisters, Kathleen and Julie, as well as a younger brother named Kurt. Her older brother’s name was Fred. Maura was brought up in an Irish Catholic home throughout her childhood. Maura moved in mostly with her mother after the breakup of her parents’ marriage, which occurred when she was six years old. She was a standout on the track team at Whitman-Hanson Regional High School, where Murray earned her diploma and went on to become a successful athlete. She pursued her education in chemical engineering at the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York, for a total of three semesters after being granted admission to the institution. Following the completion of her first year of college, she made the decision to change her major to nursing and enrolled at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Murray stuffed her vehicle with various items, including clothing, toiletries, textbooks, and birth control pills. Later, when her room was investigated by campus police, the majority of her things were found to be packed away in boxes, and the artwork had been taken from the walls. It is not quite certain whether Murray packed them that day, although the police at the time maintained that she had packed them sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning. On top of the boxes was a printed email that Murray had sent to her boyfriend suggesting that they were having problems in their relationship. Due to the snowstorm that was occurring that day, classes at the university were not held, thus she was able to leave campus at approximately 3:30 in the afternoon in her 1996 black Saturn sedan.

In November 2003, which was three months prior to the time that she was reported missing, Murray revealed that she had used a stolen credit card to place meal orders at a number of restaurants, one of which was located in Hadley, Massachusetts. The charge was extended in December with the provision that it would be dropped after a period of three months of exemplary behavior.

While working as a campus security officer on the evening of February 5, 2004, Murray called her older sister Kathleen to catch up on family news while she was on the clock at her job. They talked about the issues that Kathleen was having in her relationship with her fiancé. It was alleged that Murray burst into tears at approximately 10:30 p.m. while she was still working her shift. Murray was “just absolutely zoned out” when her supervisor entered the room and approached her desk. Absolutely no response at all. She did not respond to my questions. At approximately 1:20 in the morning, the supervisor walked Murray back to her dormitory room. Murray responded to the question of what was wrong with two words: “my sister.” The details of this call remained a mystery until 2017, when Kathleen made them public through her explanation of the conversation: Kathleen, who was recovering from alcoholism, had just been discharged from a rehabilitation facility that evening, and on the way home, her fiancé took her to a liquor store, which resulted in an emotional collapse for Kathleen.

The goods that were discovered in Murray’s family’s vehicle by the police were returned to them at the end of February. After a long day of looking for their loved one, the family finally checked out of their motel on March 2. Fred Murray came back to the site almost every single weekend to carry on the search. The Haverhill Police Department contacted him in April to inform him that they received several reports of him trespassing on private property. The disappearance of Brianna Maitland in Montgomery, Vermont in March of 2004, which was approximately 110 kilometers (66 miles) distant from the last sighting of Murray in Woodsville, prompted comparisons from the media and law enforcement due to the parallels between the two cases of missing persons. The state police, on the other hand, have indicated that there are no connections between the two incidents.

Late in 2004, a guy allegedly gave Murray’s father a rusty, discolored knife that belonged to the man’s brother. The man’s brother had a criminal background and lived less than a mile from where the automobile was recovered. Murray’s father was arrested for the crime. It was said that both his brother and his brother’s girlfriend acted oddly after Murray went missing, and the man’s brother stated that he felt that the knife had been used to kill Murray. It is stated that the man’s brother junked his Volvo a few days after Murray’s father received the knife from the man’s brother. Family members of the individual who handed in the knife asserted that he had fabricated the tale in order to receive prize money in the inquiry, and that he had a history of drug usage. The family members also alleged that he had lied about his drug use.

Fred Murray sent a request for assistance in the search to the Governor of New Hampshire, Craig Benson, in 2005. He also made an appearance on The Montel Williams Show in November 2004 to bring attention to the issue. On the day that marked one year after Murray’s disappearance, February 9, 2005, a memorial ceremony was conducted at the location where the car was discovered, and her father had a brief meeting with the Governor of New Hampshire, John Lynch.

Late in 2005, Fred Murray initiated legal action against many law enforcement agencies in an effort to acquire access to the case files that they were holding. On November 1, 2005, a user with the screen name “Tom Davies” logged into a message board called “Not Without Peril,” which was dedicated to discussion of Murray’s disappearance. This user claimed to have seen a black backpack behind a restroom at Pemigewasset Overlook, which is approximately 30 miles (48 kilometers) from Woodsville. Prior to this, Murray had a black backpack. Law enforcement “was aware of the rucksack,” according to Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin, who did not divulge whether or not the backpack had been removed for forensic examination.

In 2006, the New Hampshire League of Investigators, 10 formerly active or retired law enforcement officers or detectives, and the Molly Bish Foundation all began working together on the investigation. “It appears…that this is something above a regular missing persons investigation,” said Tom Shamshak, a former police chief who is now a member of the Licensed Private Detectives Association of Massachusetts. Something ominous might have taken place in this location. In 2007, the Arkansas organization Let’s Bring Them Home provided a prize of $75,000 for information that could lead to the resolution of her disappearance.

Within a few kilometers of the location where Murray’s car was discovered in October 2006, volunteers organized a search that lasted for two days. Approximately one mile (1.6 kilometers) away from the crash scene, cadaver dogs are said to have gone “bonkers” in the closet of an A-frame house, which may have indicated that they detected the presence of human remains. The individual who was implicated in the crime by his brother, who had handed Fred Murray the rusty knife in 2004, had formerly lived in the house that is now in question. The New Hampshire State Police received a sample of carpet from the residence, but the results of their examination were never made public. The carpet was suspected of containing dangerous chemicals. In July of 2008, volunteers led another another search through the wooded areas of Haverhill, which lasted over two days. Dog teams and professional private investigators made comprised the membership of this organisation.

The police were able to identify Murray through the vehicle she was driving and first treated her as a missing person due to the possibility that she had chosen to vanish of her own volition. This supposition was founded on the fact that she had not disclosed anything to her friends or family regarding her travel plans and that there was no clear indication that she had been the victim of any ill conduct. Murray’s case was turned over to the cold case branch of the New Hampshire police department in 2009, and the authorities are currently investigating it as a “suspicious” missing persons case.

In 2009, Murray’s case was one of many that were referenced by those who advocated for the establishment of a statewide cold case unit in New Hampshire. After that, her case was handed over to the newly established cold case team in the latter half of the same year. In 2010, Fred Murray voiced his disagreement with the way the police investigation was being conducted, specifically that it was being handled as a missing persons case rather than a criminal inquiry, and he demanded that the FBI become involved in the probe. In February of 2009, Jeffery Strelzin stated that the investigation is still ongoing, saying, “We don’t know if Maura is a victim, but the state is considering it as a probable homicide.” Although it may involve a missing person, the investigation is being treated as though it were a criminal matter.

Early on in 2012, those who were interested in the Murray case started paying attention to a YouTube user by the name of “Mr112dirtbag.” This user had uploaded a series of movies online, and some people claimed that these videos offered cryptic clues to Murray’s disappearance. The tapes were deemed to be a “cruel and nasty” attention-seeking tactic by both Murray’s family and the criminologists who specialize in the field.

In 2014, on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of Murray’s disappearance, Strelzin claimed, “We haven’t received any reliable sightings of Maura since the night she went.” This was in response to a question regarding whether or not there had been any genuine sightings of Murray. It was alleged that on the tenth anniversary of his daughter’s disappearance, Fred Murray felt that she was dead and that the night of her abduction, she had been kidnapped. This information was released in an article that was published in the New York Daily News.

The disappearance of Murray has been referred to as “the first crime mystery of the social media age,” and it has sparked conjecture from members of the public and the media, particularly on the Internet, on online forums and message boards. Bill Jensen made the following observation in an article he penned in 2014 for Boston magazine: “Now, at least online, it often looks as though there’s no such thing as a cold case. However, at the time that Maura Murray went missing, the social web was still in its infancy. There was neither YouTube nor Twitter to be found. Facebook had been around for five days on the day that Maura went missing. Because of this, the events surrounding her case can be interpreted as a metaphor for the development of internet detective work. In 2005, an ongoing conversation about Murray’s disappearance was reported on In 2007, Facebook and Myspace groups dedicated to assisting in her location were launched.

In the years that followed Murray’s disappearance, her story was covered by the media on programs such as 20/20 and Disappeared. It also generated a substantial amount of discussion on online message boards and forums, with hypotheses ranging from kidnapping to voluntary disappearance. The disappearance of Murray was referred to as the “first crime mystery of the social media age” in a documentary series that aired on the Oxygen network in 2017. The series was broadcast in 2017, and it described Murray’s disappearance as having occurred just days after the launch of Facebook.

On the thirteenth anniversary of Murray’s disappearance, which took place on February 9, 2017, Strelzin sent an email to The Boston Globe stating, “It’s still an ongoing case with periods of activity and [at] times it remains dormant.” At this moment, there are no new updates that can be shared with you.

An episode of 20/20 drew parallels between Murray’s case and that of Brooke Wilberger, who vanished in Oregon at the same time as Murray and was found dead a few months after her abduction. On the television show Disappeared, Murray was mentioned in two different episodes: the sixth episode of Season 1 and the fourth episode of Season 4. (episode 7). The Disappearance of Maura Murray is a documentary television miniseries that aired on Oxygen in 2017 and was hosted by journalist Maggie Freleng. The series aired over the course of six episodes.

After midnight on Monday, February 9, Murray used her own computer to look up routes to the Berkshires and Burlington, Vermont, using the website MapQuest. The first time that Murray was in communication with another person on February 9 was at one o’clock in the afternoon, when she emailed her lover with the following message: “I love you more stud. I saw your messages, but to tell you the truth, I really didn’t feel like talking to very many people yesterday. I will try to give you a call today, though. love you, Maura” She also inquired over the phone about the possibility of renting a condominium from the same condo association in Bartlett, New Hampshire, where she and her family had spent their previous vacations. According to the logs of the call, the conversation lasted three minutes. Murray did not rent the condo since the owner did not rent it to him. Murray made an unannounced phone call to a classmate who was also studying nursing at 1:13 p.m.

Fred Murray stated once again in February 2019, on the fifteenth anniversary of his daughter Murray’s disappearance, that he believes his daughter is dead and that he had concerns about the adjacent house that cadaver dogs responded to, saying, “That’s my daughter, I do believe.” At the beginning of the month of April, excavation work was carried out in the basement of the house. Fred Murray had expressed interest in searching the residence in the past, but the owners refused to let him. Since February, when the property was sold, the new owners have given permission for multiple searches to be conducted on the land. The excavation that was carried out at the beginning of April discovered “absolutely nothing,” other than what might have been a fragment of pottery or an old pipe.

On the internet, Maura’s disappearance is the perfect fixation; it is a labyrinth of clues that gives a seductive illusion: if the appropriate armchair detective connects the appropriate dots, maybe the unsolvable can be solved. As a result, new investigators are signing up for the case on a daily basis, examining, deconstructing, and reconstructing the specifics of her account with the same level of zeal as the Warren Commission.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments